Signs of Birth Trauma
- Feeling “weepy” or tearful
- Anxiety and Panic
- Irritability and angry outbursts
- Nightmares about the birth
- A desire to avoid baby or anything relating to baby
- Feeling detached from baby or other loved ones
- A sense that a disaster is imminent
- Physiological and psychological reactions to reminders of the birth
- Flashbacks of the birth experience
- Lack of memory of the birth experience
- Fear of becoming pregnant again, or of giving birth again
Birth Trauma is a Post-Traumatic Stress response to a childbirth experience that did not go as planned. It can be related to medical interventions, lack of control during pregnancy and/or birth, lack of support from partner and/or birth attendants, or previous traumatic experiences.
Birth Trauma Reactions are treatable and curable, and can affect mothers, fathers, and partners.
If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, please contact your health care provider or reach out to the therapists at The Catalyst Center.
You are not alone. We can help.
300 South Jackson Street, Suite 520
Denver, CO 80209
The Catalyst Center is a group practice specializing in the prevention and treatment of postpartum depression, anxiety, and trauma reactions.
Thank you to Dr. Katie Godfrey for help compiling this information!